I have experienced burnout on more than one occasion. At least once, it was combined with a medium depression where I struggled to get out of bed. I was exhausted physically, I had neglected myself in seeking to take care of others. Here is how I would coach someone to succeed in burning out as a leader, and especially as a pastor-leader.
1. Don’t rest
2. Harbor resentment
3. Be driven to find your value in approval or accomplishment
4. Lead in your own strength
5. Magnify your struggles and minimize Christ
6. Be too busy for friends or fun
7. Stop taking care of yourself because you are too busy taking care of others
8. Live re-actively with your schedule and calendar
9. Don’t pay attention to the warning lights and make adjustments
10. Ignore your emotions. Don’t ask what they are telling you, just push through them.